Graduate School Application Process
The application process is ongoing, however it is recommended to apply one year in advance of the term you hope to begin the graduate program (for the Spring term and for the Summer and Fall terms). An application must be complete before it can be considered.
A complete application includes the following (Except for the fifth item, all items are to be sent directly to the graduate school.):
Assistance with VISAs, Entry Procedures, or Employment Eligibility
- The Application to the Graduate School, completed in full.
For instructions and information for applying to the Graduate School. It is recommended that you apply online.
- A copy of your Graduate Record Exam (GRE) scores. (The Advanced Chemistry score is also strongly recommended, though not required.)
- Official transcripts from each college or university you have attended. (These must bear an official seal, be signed by the Registrar's Office of the corresponding institution and mailed in an envelope sealed by the institution.)
- Statement of "Reasons for Graduate Study". Optionally, you may use this form
- Three (3) letters of recommendation sent directly to the Chemistry Department by individuals who are familiar with your abilities and accomplishments in chemistry. The letter should be on the letterhead of the institution of the evaluator. The form Graduate Applicant Evaluation Form may be used as a guide as to what should be evaluated. The letters are to be sent to the following address:
- Graduate Program Coordinator
- The University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
- Department of Chemistry
- P.O. Box 413
- Milwaukee, Wisconsin 53201 - USA
- International Students - Application to the graduate school for international students include the above and the following: Complete instructions will be found at the Center for International Education.
- $40 processing fee in addition to the $56 Graduate School application fee.
- Language Proficiency
- TOEFL - Application for admission to the Graduate School at The University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee requires a TOEFL score for international graduate students. Applicants for a Teaching Assistantship must have a minimum score of 600. The application is considered incomplete, and will not be acted upon, until the score has been received.
- TSE - In addition to the TOEFL score, all graduate Teaching Assistants at the University must also take the Test of Spoken English (TSE). The TSE examination may be taken in your home country, or you may take it during the orientation program for new graduate students after you have arrived. Students who need additional training in English will be required to enroll in the course Oral Skills For International Teaching Assistants, at a cost of about $500.00 for a semester. A clear pass of 50 is required for a Teaching Assistantship (TA). Failure to achieve this grade in the TSE exam will result in revocation of the TA.
Our Office of International Student and Scholar Services
has an advisor who is quite knowledgeable about such matters and willing to help. You may contact this office by writing to:
- International Student and Scholar Services
- Center for International Education
- University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
- Garland Hall 102
- P.O. Box 413
- Milwaukee, WI 53201 - USA
- Telephone: 414-229-3757